Friday, June 8, 2012

New All-Terrain/Trail Sandals


In my last posting on May 7th I covered what I had new in lacing and attachment systems for my custom made Huarache style sandals.  Today I am doing a short post to talk about my new all-terrain series of trail running sandals that I am very excited about.

I believe that a good trail running sandal has to be strong, durable, light weight and flexible with a tread design that really grips the ground (since a lot of trails are very steep and slippery). I found all these important characteristics with a new expanded rubber compound from Vibram called Newflex rubber.

This expanded rubber compound has an aggressive tread design for greater traction, is only half the weight of rubber and is very flexible allowing for good to great ground feel depending on the sole thickness you are wearing.

My Bobcat Basic (Bare Top)


The first new model is the 5mm thin Bobcat (shown above) which weighs less than 2 Oz for my size 10 foot with traditional laces. Ground to foot feel is excellent. I believe it is close to having the same ground feel as the 4mm Cherry sole material that I use for my Spartan model sandals and it is lighter in weight with a tread design that provides greater traction. Your feet really connect with the ground when you are running or walking in these thin soled sandals.

The Bobcat also incorporates the recessed toe hole for the traditional lace knot. This allows the knot to seat in the recessed hole on the bottom of the sandal. This helps to protect the knot from wear and extends the life of the knot.

Traditional Lace Toe Knot

The optional suede leather footbed adds a little more protection, strength and firmness to the sandal and helps the larger size sandal like my size 10 to hold its form. The suede leather is comfortable to wear and molds well to the shape of your foot.




My well-worn Deluxe (suede leather) Bobcats with EHS lacing (Elasticized Heel Strap)

The big brother to the Bobcat is the 10mm thick Mountain Cat. This sandal weighs less than 4 Oz for my size 10 foot with traditional laces and uses the same expanded rubber compound as the Bobcat except it is twice as thick. Due to the thickness of this sole, this sandal holds its form very well, has more cushion and shock absorbing characteristics and provides a smoother ride over rocky terrain.



My well-worn Mountain Cats with EHS lace (Elasticized Heel Strap)

For those extremely tough and rocky trails I have found the 10mm thick Mountain Cat to be the best choice. The Mountain Cat helps to take the edge off of those sharp rocks that would otherwise tenderize the bottoms of my feet. This is a very rugged sandal that performs exceptionally well on the toughest of trails.

The Mountain Cat also incorporates the recessed toe hole on the bottom of the sandal for extended life of the traditional lace knot. The Mountain Cat also has the suede leather footbed option for a different look and feel that you can only get with leather.

The suede leather footbeds are not recommended for running in really wet conditions as they become slippery on the bottom of your foot when soaked. In dry running conditions they help to absorb moisture from the bottom of your foot and add style to the sandal.

This sandal is also an excellent choice for those who are transitioning into minimalist footwear and barefoot running from standard running shoes. It provides good ground to foot feel and great protection for your soles while still providing all the benefits of barefoot running form (unrestricted range of motion for your feet, ankles and toes, completely flat to the ground with no heel rise or wedge etc.). 

Like the Tarahumara Huarache, These trail running sandals are based on the same simple design that has been around for thousands of years. The use of modern materials for the soles and lacing systems only enhance performance and style of the sandal.

All though these sandals are primarily designed for trail running, I have found them to perform very well on paved surfaces as well which is why I call them an All-Terrain/Trail Sandal.  They are also great for casual wear.

Since I do not yet have these models listed on my web site, please feel free to contact me at Rong@allwaysbarefootsandals.com for any additional information. I also have some video footage on You Tube which you can access from my web site.

Experience the joy of barefoot running in your own pair of Huaraches. Trail running has never felt so good.

To learn more about Ron G’s custom made Huaraches, please visit my Web Site at: www.allwaysbarefootsandals.com. Or visit my Facebook page “Huarache Sandals”

If you liked this article, please share it with your friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment